Here is a way to help you and your child determine if a book is easy, hard or just right:
If your child answers yes to these questions, then the book is probably easy for him/her. It is a book to read for enjoyment and fun.
1) Have I read this book lots of times before?
2) Do I understand the story?
3) Do I know (can I understand) almost every word?
4) Can I read the book smoothly?
JUST RIGHT BOOKS
This book is probably just right if your child answers yes to these questions. It is a book he/she might want to give a try.
1) Is this book new to me?
2) Are there just a few words per page I don't know?
3) Do I understand what I've read so far?
4) When I read, are some places smooth and some choppy?
5) Can someone help me with this book? Who?
If your child answers yes to these questions, the book is probably a hard book for him/her to read independently. This is a book your child can try again at a later time or this is a book you might want to read aloud.
1) Are there more than five words on each page I don't know?
2) Am I confused about what is happening in the book? Do I feel bored?
3) When I read, does it sound pretty choppy?
4) Is everyone busy and unable to help me?
5) Is there a way to get this book closer to a Just Right Book?