F. West Neck School 1904-1935
At a special residents’ meeting in April of 1904, and after many heated discussions, it was decided to purchase an acre of land on Charles E. Brush Road (now called School Lane) from Warren Sammis for $1,200. A new four room, two story, wood frame school building was built for $3,000. It was expected to accommodate 100-125 students from the West Neck area, District #2.
In May of 1926, the residents of West Neck and Lloyd Neck voted to become the Incorporated Village of Lloyd Harbor. This action cost Huntington considerable tax revenue. One month later, Leonard Smith, the District Superintendent of Schools of Huntington School District #3, annexed West Neck School District #2 and Lloyd Neck School District #5 to Huntington. The residents in West Neck and Lloyd Neck were unanimously opposed to this action. The battle to retain village control over the schools continued in the courts for six years and eventually reached the New York State Supreme Court in 1932. The final decision was that Huntington School District had no jurisdiction over the Lloyd Harbor schools and acted beyond the scope of their authority in annexing any school to it.
By 1933, the West Neck school house had sentimental charm but the building was inadequate. The residents voted to buy land adjacent to the current school house for the purpose of building Lloyd Harbor School. In 1935, when the new school was completed, the old West Neck School was torn down and removed at a cost of $75.